Periodontal Maintenance in Vienna, VA
If you have recently received periodontal treatment, the next step is maintenance. If you are looking for an experienced Periodontist who provides periodontal care in Vienna, VA, contact our dental office today at 703-225-0040.
What is periodontal maintenance?
The periodontal pocket is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria. If you have had periodontal disease treated in the past, you may be susceptible to having it return. Ongoing maintenance is essential to ensuring your mouth and gums remain healthy after treatment.
Periodontal maintenance deep cleans the gums, allowing the tissues to stay healthy. Dr. Pham may perform periodontal maintenance through scaling and root planing, which uses special instruments to clean out the pockets of tartar.
Benefits of periodontal maintenance:
- Tartar removal – Tartar (calculus) and plaque build up both above and below the gum line, which can cause serious periodontal problems if left untreated. Removing debris and bacteria from gum pockets can be tricky, even with regular brushing and flossing. The experienced eye of Dr. Pham, using specialized dental equipment, is needed to spot and treat problems such as tartar and plaque buildup.
- Aesthetics – It is hard to feel confident about a smile errored by yellowing, stained teeth. Maintenance can rid the teeth of unsightly stains and return the smile to its original beauty.
- Fresher breath – Persistent bad breath is often the first sign of a problem. Bad breath could be caused by an infection or by food particles trapped below the gum line. Removing plaque, calculus, and bacteria noticeably improves breath.
- Identification of health issues – Many health problems first present themselves to the dentist. While thoroughly examining your mouth, Dr. Pham can screen for oral cancer, evaluate the risk of gum disease, and even spot warning signs of medical problems like diabetes and kidney problems.
What does periodontal maintenance involve?
Periodontal maintenance can be performed in a regular dental visit. However, a general anesthetic may be necessary if severe periodontal disease is diagnosed.
Periodontal cleanings are generally performed in several stages:
- Supragingival cleaning – The periodontist will thoroughly clean the area above the gum line with scaling tools to remove plaque and calculus.
- Subgingival cleaning – the removal of calculus and bacteria from beneath the gum line.
- Root planing – The dentist treats the tooth root to eliminate any hazardous bacteria.
- Medication – An antibiotic or antimicrobial cream may be prescribed to promote fast and healthy healing and help ease discomfort.
- X-ray and examination – Routine X-rays can be revealing when it comes to periodontal disease. X-rays show the extent of bone and gum recession and aid the dentist in identifying areas that may need future attention.
How often should you receive maintenance after treatment?
Dr. Pham recommends receiving periodontal maintenance every three months to prevent the return of the disease. Periodontal maintenance is recommended every three months because when biofilm is not removed, the periodontal bacteria flourish within three to twelve weeks. We can remove these bacteria and keep the condition under control by cleaning at twelve weeks (three months).
Though gum disease cannot be completely reversed, Dr. Pham will provide the quality care and maintenance required to halt the progression and keep your dental health in an adequate state.
Schedule an Appointment at Capital Esthetics and Family Dentistry Today!
Dr. Pham is an experienced dentist specializing in periodontics to provide quality dental care if you have experienced recent periodontal treatment. If you are suffering from gum disease or suspect you may have signs of gum disease, feel free to contact our dental practice to schedule an appointment at 703-225-0040 today.